Members of the Charles P. Adams Society, a chapter of the Grambling State University Alumni Association, met at the Brusly Town Hall on Saturday, July 26, 2003 for a ceremony in honor of the Brusly native who founded the school which became Grambling State University. Mayor Normand, Councilwoman Joanne Bourgeois, Charles Givens, Lucy Landry, Genie Hendry, Fire Chief Mike Alleman and Gail Alleman greeted guests as they entered the Town Hall.
The ceremony was organized by Ava Brewster-Turner, President of the Charles P. Adams Alumni Chapter who made brief opening remarks. Guests were welcomed by Charles Givens, Brusly resident and Grambling alumni, and by Councilwoman Joanne Bourgeois. Following the Invocation by Yvonne Byrd and remarks by Adolph Byrd, Mayor Joey Normand read a proclamation in honor of the day and presented the copy to James Bradford, President, Grambling University National Alumni Association. Dr. Neari F. Warner, Acting President, Grambling State University, addressed the group and included quotes of Charles P. Adams from the book Brusly, A Place to Call Home published in 2001 in conjunction with the Town’s Centennial celebration. The ceremony concluded with comments from Mr. Bradford and his presentation of a football autographed by former Grambling football Coach Eddie Robinson and present coach Doug Williams to Mayor Normand.
Approximately 80 alumni members journeyed by chartered bus and private cars to Brusly from Baton Rouge where they were attending their annual national convention at the Radisson Hotel. Following lunch in Brusly, they returned to the convention site.
Photos are courtesy of Genie Hendry
- Mayor Joey Normand, presenting proclamation for "Charles P. Adams Day" to Dr. Neari F. Warner, Acting President Grambling State University, Mr. James F. Bradford, President Grambling University National Alumni Association.
- Mr. Adolph Byrd, Baton Rouge Resident and Grambling Alumnus addressing crowd with memories of Charles P. Adams.
- Charles Givens, Brusly Resident and Grambling Alumnus.
- Brusly Town Council Member Joanne Bourgeois
- Souvenir tote bag which members attending the convention in BR received.