The Town of Brusly hosted a ceremony and reception on Saturday, May 17th to recognize the listing of the original Brusly High School Gym on the National Register of Historic Places. The gym is now part of the Brusly Middle School Campus.
Brusly Middle School Principal, Callie Cazes Kershaw, served as Mistress of Ceremonies, welcoming guests to the ceremony.
Reverend Johnny Johnson, Jr., Pastor of Union Baptist Church in Brusly, delivered the invocation, followed by presentation of colors by the Brusly Fire Department and the Louisiana Fire Service Honor Guard Association. Claudette Purnell directed the West Baton Rouge All Parish Children’s Choir in selections during the ceremony.
Brusly Council Member Joanne Bourgeois gave a brief history of the gym and presented a framed certificate documenting the gym’s entry into the National Register of Historic Places. Jim Rills, Chairman of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission, read the names of the 31 graduates of the class of 1937, recognizing 3 graduates in attendance – Agnes Bourgoyne Tullier, Bertha Cazes Verret and Naylor Cragin. Family members of deceased graduates were also recognized.
WBR Superintendent of Schools David Corona recalled his experiences as a coach of an opposing team in the gym and offered other thoughts regarding the gym’s role in the community.
Marianne Berthelot and Joanne Bourgeois coordinated arrangements for the ceremony and reception, assisted by Brusly Town Hall staff, Police Department staff and the Brusly Fire Department.