A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday January 27, 2014, Brusly Town Hall, Brusly, Louisiana.
Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Commissioner Bourgeois led the Pledge of Allegiance. A roll call determined the following officials present:
Commission Chairman: Jim Rills
Commission Members: Billy Bourgeois, Margaret Canella, Henry Soniat
Advisory Members: Kevin Durbin,
Absent: Sara Grady, Rose Jackson, Shirley Jordan, Brian Falcon, Billy Hebert
Others present: Joanne Bourgeois
Upon motion of Commissioner Canella; seconded by Commissioner Bourgeois, the minutes of the October 21, 2013 meeting were approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications:
Brusly Council Member Joanne Bourgeois presented the following applications for Landmark Plaques:
• Richard & Paula Soniat 153 E. Main St.
• Wendy Parrish 512 Bourgeois St.
• Edna & Felton Crockett Jr. 519 Bourgeois St.
Chairman Rills announced the arrival of Advisory Member Brian Falcon at 6:37 PM.
Ms. Bourgeois explained that Wilman J. “Tickie” and Bernadette H.Michel built the home at 153 E. Main St. in the late 1940s. The home at 512 Bourgeois St. was built by Wylie & Marie Hebert in 1964. The 519 Bourgeois St. home was built by Edna and Felton Crockett Jr. in 1960. A motion to recommend the houses presented by Joanne Bourgeois to the Town Council as Landmark Plaque Recipients was made by Commissioner Bourgeois; seconded by Commissioner Canella. The motion passed unanimously.
A discussion was held about the design for Former Landmark Site Markers. The markers will be made of aluminum with a brown background and gold lettering. It was decided to have the Landmark & Heritage logo displayed on the markers.
Any Other Business:
Council Member Bourgeois presented a Landmark Site application from Mr. Dwayne Roth for 182 N. LaBauve Avenue, the former site of the Excelsior School. Ms. Bourgeois explained that the Excelsior School was a public one room school from the year 1887 to the year 1935; it was situated near the road at the time of its operation. A motion to recommend the site to the Town Council as a Brusly Landmark was made by Commissioner Soniat; seconded by Commissioner Canella. The motion passed unanimously.
Discussion was held regarding the date of a ceremony to present the plaques listed above and the plaque for the home owned by James and Katherine Tingle on Allene Street. Members agreed on
April 6th, 3:00 p.m. for the tentative date.
Public Comment: None
A motion was made by Commissioner Bourgeois to adjourn; seconded by Commissioner Canella. The motion passed with a unanimous vote. Commission Chairman Rills adjourned the meeting at 7:03 PM.
Patricia Gaudet Thibodaux, Secretary