A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday July 21, 2014, Brusly Town Hall, Brusly, Louisiana.
Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Chairman Rills led the Pledge of Allegiance. A roll call determined the following officials present:
Commission Chairman: Jim Rills
Commission Members: Margaret Canella, Sara Grady, Henry Soniat
Advisory Members: Brian Falcon, Billy Hebert
Absent: Billy Bourgeois, Rose Jackson, Shirley Jordan, Kevin Durbin
Others present: Joanne Bourgeois
Upon motion of Commissioner Soniat; seconded by Commissioner Grady, the minutes of the April 21, 2014 meeting were approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications:
Brusly Council Member Joanne Bourgeois presented the following applications for Landmark Plaques:
• 230 Julien St. Owen & Scarlet Callicoatte
• 1527 Allene St. Joel & Katherine Tingle
• 1819 Allene St. Ruth Landry
• 120 LeJeune St. Iberia Babin Home
• 1739 Allene St. Willie & Judy Thousand
Ms. Bourgeois explained that Mr. Fraim Babin was the original owner of the home at 230 Julien Street. Mr. Babin was also the owner of the original Brusly Drug Store. The home dates back to the1800’s. The home at 1527 Allene St. was built by William Currie, Sr. in 1940. The 1819 Allene St. home was built by Landess Hebert in 1962. The home at 120 LeJeune. St. was one of two cabins from the late 1800s, originally located in the part of Town now taken over by the Mississippi River, and owned by members of the Gwin family. The home at 1739 Allene St. was built by Gerald and Jane Caillouet in the early 1960’s. A motion to recommend the houses to the Town Council as Landmark Plaque Recipients was made by Commissioner Canella; seconded by Commissioner Soniat. The motion passed unanimously.
Any Other Business:
Council Member Bourgeois gave a presentation of slides, compiled by Patricia Gaudet, showing “Before and After” photos of the restoration of the home at 153 E. Main St., previously designated as a Brusly Landmark. Bourgeois suggested that the Landmark & Heritage consider presenting a certificate to Richard and Paula Soniat in recognition of their successful efforts to save and restore the home which was slated to be demolished. Members commented favorably on the suggestion; Chairman Rills suggested that the presentation could be done at the next plaque presentation ceremony.
Public Comment: None
A motion was made by Commissioner Canella to adjourn; seconded by Commissioner Soniat. The motion passed with a unanimous vote. Commission Chairman Rills adjourned the meeting at 6:58 PM.
/s/ Patricia Gaudet Thibodaux, Secretary