MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION
July 20, 2015
A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday July 20, 2015, Brusly Town Hall, Brusly, Louisiana.
Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Commissioner Bourgeois led the Pledge of Allegiance. A roll call determined the following officials present:
Commission Chairman: Jim Rills
Commission Members Present: Billy Bourgeois, Margaret Canella, Sara Grady, Rose Jackson, Henry Soniat
Commission Members Absent: Shirley Jordan
Advisory Members: Brian Falcon, Billy Hebert
Advisory Members Absent: Kevin Durbin
Others present: Joanne Bourgeois, Skipper Grady
Upon motion of Commissioner Grady; seconded by Commissioner Jackson, the minutes of the January 26, 2015 meeting were approved as written.
Chairman Rills announced that there was no business conducted at the April 20, 2015 meeting due to a lack of quorum.
Landmark Plaque Applications:
Chairman Rills read aloud from submitted plaque applications while presenting a slide show of the following homes:
256 Hebert Street – The Delores Martin Bergeron Home (owned by Gaylen & Tracie Martin)
139 S. LaBauve Ave – The Octave & Birdie LaBauve Home (owned by Ryan C. Fabre)
761 W. Main Street – The Sam Thibodeaux Home (owned by BKR(Brad Fabre, Kyle Thibodeaux, Ryan Fabre))
228 S. LaBauve Ave – The Ory Hebert Home (owned by Dane & Mary Hebert)
1206 W. main Street – The Fernand Thibodeaux Home (owned by Tim & Christina Robicheaux)
1240 W. Main Street – The Edwin & Marie Hebert Home (owned by Cindy M. Jones)
1256 W. Main Street – The Original Brusly Seafood House (owned by Omer & Mary LeRay)
1256 W. Main Street – Mrs. Gauthreaux’s House (owned by Omer & Mary LeRay)
1211 W. Main Street – J.C. “Kiyi” & Geraldine Caillouet Home (owned by Omer & Mary LeRay)
539 N. LaBauve Ave – The Melancon Home (owned by Pierce & Kerri Brown)
A motion to recommend the houses to the Town Council as Landmark Plaque Recipients was made by Commissioner Bourgeois; seconded by Commissioner Grady. The motion passed unanimously.
Former Landmark Site Applications:
Council Member Bourgeois presented a Landmark Site application from Bert & Sally Callais, for 363 E. St. Francis, the former site of the Brusly Semi Pro Baseball Field. Ms. Bourgeois explained that it is believed that the team was formed in 1947 and existed until the early to mid 1950’s. The site was later used for the Brusly Lion’s Annual BBQ until the present day Lion’s Den was built. The property was previously owned by Leonard and Peggy Bernard.
A motion to recommend the site to the Town Council as a Brusly Landmark was made by Commissioner Canella; seconded by Commissioner Jackson. The motion passed unanimously.
After a brief discussion, members agreed to set on September 20, 2015 at 3:00 PM as the next Plaque Presentation Ceremony.
Other Business: None
Council Member Bourgeois thanked Henry Soniat and Billy Hebert for their efforts in gathering plaque applications from the home owners.
A motion was made by Commissioner Bourgeois to adjourn; seconded by Commissioner Grady. The motion passed with a unanimous vote. Commission Chairman Rills adjourned the meeting at 7:26 PM.
/s/ Patricia Gaudet Thibodaux, Secretary