MINUTES OF THE BRUSLY LANDMARK & HERITAGE COMMISSION
July 18, 2016
A meeting of the Brusly Landmark and Heritage Commission was held on Monday July 18, 2016, Brusly Town Hall, Brusly, Louisiana.
Chairman Rills called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. Commissioner Bourgeois led the Pledge of Allegiance. A roll call determined the following officials present:
Commission Chairman: Jim Rills
Commission Members Present: Billy Bourgeois, Margaret Canella, Sara Grady, Rose Jackson, Henry Soniat
Commission Members Absent: Shirley Jordan
Advisory Members Present: Brian Falcon
Advisory Members Absent: Kevin Durbin, Billy Hebert
Others present: Joanne Bourgeois, Skipper Grady
Commissioner Shirley Jordan arrived immediately after roll call.
Upon motion of Commissioner Grady; seconded by Commissioner Canella, the minutes of the April 18, 2016, meeting were unanimously approved as written.
Landmark Plaque Applications:
Ms. Bourgeois presented a Landmark Plaque application for the home located at 203 N. Kirkland Street, presently owned by Steve & Terry Guidry. Ms. Bourgeois explained that Joseph Samuel Bourg, Sr. and his family lived in this home which was once a simple, little creole cottage. Joseph Samuel Bourg was elected in 1920 to serve as a Village of Brusly Landing Alderman and died in 1947. A son, Joseph Samuel Bourg, Jr. known as “Sammay,” lived in the home until his death. After a brief discussion, a motion to motion to recommend the house to the Town Council as a Landmark Plaque Recipient was made by Commissioner Canella; seconded by Commissioner Jackson. The motion passed unanimously.
Former Landmark Site Applications:
Ms. Bourgeois presented the Former Landmark Site application for 438 N. Vaughan Street, the former site of Brusly’s First Full Service Automotive Station, presently owned by Bill and Dyan Beatty. After a brief discussion, a motion to recommend the site to the Town Council as a Former Landmark Site, was made by Commissioner Grady; seconded by Commissioner Jordan. The motion passed unanimously.
Ms. Joanne Bourgeois reported that the “Welcome to Brusly” sign had been completed.
August 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM was set as the date and time for the next Landmark Plaque Ceremony.
Public Comment: None
A motion was made by Commissioner Bourgeois to adjourn; seconded by Commissioner Grady. The motion passed with a unanimous vote. Commission Chairman Rills adjourned the meeting at 6:54 PM.
/s/Patricia Gaudet Thibodaux, Secretary